How to Clean Your Wooden Plantation Shutters
You know that few materials offer the same warmth and richness as real wood. When it came time to select the material for your plantation shutters then, the choice was clear. What’s less clear is how to clean your wooden plantation shutters. The good news is that there’s no need to find special cleaning solutions and materials for your plantation shutters. In fact, you likely already have the items needed to safely clean your wood shutters.
What You Need
- A soft, dry dusting cloth (or some clean socks)
- A vacuum with an upholstery brush attachment
- A small, soft-bristled brush (or a toothbrush)
- A dryer sheet
What You Do
- Using the upholstery brush attachment, run your vacuum across both the front and back of your plantation shutters, working from the center of the louvers to the outside and from the top of your shutters to the bottom.
- Tilt the louvers on your wooden shutters open. Once again, working from the center to the outsides and the top to the bottom, use the soft cloth to pick up any remaining dust. If you don’t have a dusting cloth handy, you can use a clean sock.
- In order to remove dust from the nooks and crannies in your plantation shutters, use the soft-bristled brush (or toothbrush) to gently dislodge it. Be careful not to apply too much pressure – wood shutters are one of the few places in your home that would not benefit from an elbow-grease cleaning.
- If you find sticky spots of dust on your shutters that won’t come free, use a small amount of water to gently dampen your cloth or cleaning brush before wiping the area. Be sure to dry the newly cleaned wood immediately, so as to keep the water from soaking into the shutter and distorting it.
- Wipe your clean wooden shutters down with the dryer sheet. The same properties that dryer sheets use to reduce static energy in your clothes also repel dust. While this won’t make your shutters “dust-proof,” it will lower the amount of dust that collects and make any subsequent cleanings easier.
Sounds simple enough, right? At US Verticals, we install beautiful, easy-to-clean wood plantation shutters for homeowners across Florida. If you would like to have new plantation shutters installed in your home, visit our Kissimmee showroom today. Or, contact us to schedule a complimentary, in-home consultation.